Professional Development Program (PDP)
Guide and Application
(revised January 2010)
The Participant Guide has been updated to reflect a few changes in the
program. The Risk Management Specialty has been eliminated as of January 1, 2010. All the courses
in that Specialty can be found in either the Supervisor Basics, Human Resources or Operations
Specialty, so it was considered redundant. Those currently enrolled in the Risk Management
Specialty will continue through to certification and not be impacted by the change. Also,
those enrolling after January 1, 2010, will be required to complete the certification program
within four years of enrolling. This will ensure that the knowledge and skills gained are
current and relevant.
PDP Requirements by Specialty
PreventionLink Courses and Professional Development Program Requirements
PreventionLink offers a large variety of training classes with important information that will help you do your job better. Not all the classes are in-depth or specific to water agencies, therefore may not meet the requirements of the JPIA Professional Development Program (PDP).
JPIA recommends any and all classes on PreventionLink as a refresher for you or to introduce the topic before taking a JPIA class. Any type of training or education that helps you do your job better and safer is a wise investment of time.
As of May 2010, the following classes on PreventionLink will meet the requirements for classes in the Professional Development Program.
- Electrical Safety
- Fleet Program Driving - one course each year for 4 years; new employees complete the Fleet Program - Defensive Driving Strategies as soon as possible
- Interviewing and Hiring
- Preventing Discrimination in the Workplace
- Reasonable Suspicion of Alcohol for Supervisors – must also complete Reasonable Suspicion Drugs (below) to meet DOT/federal requirements; course requires 60 minutes of viewing
- Reasonable Suspicion of Drugs for Supervisors – must also complete Reasonable Suspicion Alcohol (above) to meet DOT/federal requirements; course requires 60 minutes of viewing
- Sexual Harassment Prevention for Managers (meets AB1825 requirements)
- Water Industry Fall Protection
- Water Industry HAZWOPER (Modules 1-4 required)
- Water Industry Lock-Out/Tag-Out
- Water Industry Respiratory Protection
- Workplace Violence
All other courses in PreventionLink do qualify as electives in the PDP program.