Quarterly Wellness Topic
Perimenopause & Menopause
What is perimenopause and menopause? What should you expect from this new chapter of life? If you are a woman entering her 40’s or 50’s, here are some resources to keep you informed and feeling empowered.
- Perimenopause means “around menopause”. It is the transition phase into menopause that typically lasts about six years. It generally occurs in women in their 40s to early 50s, according to the National Institute on Aging.
- Menopause is a point in time 12 months after a woman’s final period. It signals the end of the perimenopause phase and the start of post-menopause.
- My Menoplan – website and organization supporting women in perimenopause and after menopause
- Johns Hopkins’ Perimenopause Overview
- Perimenopause Overview from Cleveland Clinic
- Harvard Health on Perimenopause
- Webmd’s Guide to Perimenopause
- Primer for the Perimenopausal
- Are You Going through Perimenopause?
- Treating Perimenopause and Menopause Symptoms
- Mayo Clinic – Hormone Therapy Is It Right for You?
- What to Know about Mood Changes during Perimenopause
- Hot Flashes – What Can I Do?
- Diet Advice During Perimenopause
- Brain Fog in Perimenopause and Post-Menopause
- Menopause Weight Gain Is Not Inevitable
- Fitness Tips Post-Menopause
- Nutrition after Menopause
- Fitness after 40 from the North American Menopause Society
- Post-Menopause Overview – Cleveland Clinic
Wellness Resources for your Body*
Fitness Apps and Resources
- Fitness Blender (free content available)
- Nike Training Club (free content available)
- Down Dog ($, free trial available)
- 24Go TV (on YouTube, free)
- Peloton App ($, free trial available, no bike required)
- Daily Burn ($, free trial available)
Weight Loss Programs
- Weight Watchers ($)
- Noom ($)
Food subscription boxes
- Farm Fresh to You – weekly/bi-weekly delivery of fresh fruits and veg to your door ($)
- Farm Box Direct – fresh produce delivery service that partners closely with a network of farms ($)
- Hello Fresh – Veggie, pescatarian and calorie smart options available ($)
- Green Chef – a meal kit for eating well. Paleo, Keto, Vegetarian, and Vegan options ($)
- Nutrition.gov – USDA sponsored website with information to help you make healthful eating choices.
- CDC – nutrition information from the CDC.
- EatRight – website from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics.
- Nutrition Over 50 – Articles from AARP
Recipe websites and apps
- Weight Watchers – Recipe page. No membership required.
- Cooking Light – click on recipes on the menu bar.
- Eating Well – click on Healthy Recipes on the menu bar. Also has an app!
- Foodstand – offers a vibrant community for all health-conscious eaters.
- Fooducate – makes you aware of the quality of your calories.
- AllRecipes – recipes for every taste and talent. Special section of Healthy Recipes.
- CDC – Information on how much sleep we need and how to sleep better.
- HelpGuide – a guide to better sleep.
- Sleep Foundation – helpful website on sleep.
- Mattress Reviews – having the right mattress and pillow are key to getting a good night’s rest.
- CDC – information on how tobacco affects us and how to quit.
- Smokefree – Robust website with many tools for quitting smoking.
- American Cancer Society – Information from the ACS on quitting tobacco.
Note: The listings above do not imply endorsement by ACWA JPIA of any of these products or services.
* You should consult your physician or other health care professional before starting any diet/nutrition or fitness program to determine if it is right for your needs.
Wellness Resources for your Mind
- Modern Health – available at no cost to employees and their dependents enrolled in Anthem or Kaiser medical through ACWA JPIA. Modern Health is a mental healthcare platform that offers one on one coaching and therapy as well as live group sessions, meditations and other valuable programs.
- Ginger – Kaiser members can text one-on-one with an emotional support coach at no cost. Some restrictions and limitations apply. Click here to access
- myStrength – an online program for Kaiser members that supports emotional health and well-being. Click here to access
- Learn to Live – a new Emotional Well-being Resources program for Anthem Medical and Anthem EAP participants. Based on a cognitive behavioral therapy approach, the program addresses key areas such as depression, anxiety, stress, sleep, and substance use abuse.
- Anthem Medical Members – Login here, then go to My Health Dashboard, and then Programs. Scroll down to the Emotional Well-being Resources tile at the bottom. Click on Learn More and then Learn How under Take the First Step.
- Anthem EAP Members – check with your HR team to obtain the access code and then go here. After entering the Anthem EAP site, the link to enter the new program is on the right under Emotional Well-being Resources.
- Anthem EAP – for employees (and their household members) whose agencies participate in the Anthem EAP. Check with your HR team to see if your agency participates and to obtain the access code.
- Up to six counseling sessions per employee or household member per issue per year.
- Robust website of mental health and daily living resources.
- Emotional Wellness Toolkit – from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Mental Health – resources from mentalhealth.gov.
- Calm – an app and website with a multitude of guided and non-guided meditations. ($, limited free content available). Kaiser members can access Calm for free by going here.
- Headspace – an app and website for meditations and sleep ($, free trial available).
Webinars & Podcasts
Delta Dental Wellness webinars will provide you with valuable information that will keep yourself and your family smiling now and in the future. Click the date below to register:
- May 23, 2023 – 9 am Pacific | 12 pm Eastern
- June 15, 2023 – 1 pm Pacific | 4 pm Eastern
- Aug 11, 2023 – 10 am Pacific | 1 pm Eastern
- Sep 13, 2023 – 11 am Pacific | 2 pm Eastern
- Oct 25, 2023 – 9 am Pacific | 12 pm Eastern
- Nov 7, 2023 – 8 am Pacific | 11 am Eastern
Please click here for the Kaiser Wellness Webinar page. Available to all regardless of medical plan enrollment.
Kaiser Virtual Mental Health Classes – Click the link on the flyer for more information on the classes being offered and to learn how to register. Open to KP members and non-KP members.Empowered by Hoag podcast – a podcast where insights, optimism and enthusiasm for medicine and all its possibilities are shared. In each episode, take a dive deep into the health care topics listeners care about the most.
Active & Fit
Sign up for an Active & Fit gym membership ($28 per month/$28 one-time enrollment fee), to access more than 1,500 on-demand workout videos, and once gyms are open, visit any of the 11,000 fitness centers in the nationwide Active & Fit network.
- Anthem members – Sign into your Anthem account, then go to Care and then Discounts for the link to Active & Fit.
- Kaiser members – Click here, and then sign into your Kaiser account by clicking on the Learn More box under Active & Fit Direct.
Get reduced rates on a variety of fitness, health, and wellness products through the ChooseHealthy program, including activity trackers, workout apparel and exercise equipment.
- Kaiser members – Click here, and then sign into your Kaiser account by clicking on the Learn More box under ChooseHealthy.
- Anthem members – Sign into your Anthem account, then go to Care and then Discounts for the link to ChooseHealthy.
Fitness industry leader ClassPass makes it easier for you to exercise from the comfort of home. Try yoga, cardio, and bootcamp, all without leaving your house!
- Kaiser members – Click here, and then sign into your Kaiser account by clicking on the Learn More box under ClassPass.
- Not a Kaiser member? Go direct to ClassPass to open an account and view available plans and pricing.
Kaiser – Mental Health & Wellness page includes webinars, videos and more. Available to all.
Delta Dental – Health and Wellness information
VSP Vision – Health and Wellness information
Health Assessments – Assess your health risks
JPIA Wellness Grant Program
The JPIA Wellness Grant Program is intended to help agencies participating in JPIA Anthem medical plans establish a wellness program or carry out a wellness initiative. Grant funds are provided by Anthem on an annual basis, but this is not guaranteed. Agency wellness programs are open to employees enrolled in any JPIA medical plan. The amount of funds available to an agency is a minimum of $200 and a maximum of $2,000. The amount awarded is based on headcount, or the request from the agency, if less. The grant period normally runs from July 1 – June 30. Applications are typically sent out in late May to eligible agencies.
Those agencies who wish to participate must go through the JPIA’s application process, and if they are granted funds, they must provide receipts showing how the wellness funds were spent. JPIA requires that the funds be used to improve employee health and well-being, such as activities centered on exercise, nutrition, stress reduction, improved sleep, etc. See page 2 of the Wellness Grant Application for important guidelines and restrictions to spending and documenting the use of grant funds. Programs can be big or small, limited in duration or ongoing. Not only do healthier employees (and healthier dependents) help keep medical premiums down, but they also have reduced absenteeism, increased presenteeism, improved productivity and morale.
Wellness Program Toolkits
Vendors Used and Recommended by JPIA Members
Longevity, Inc. – Early Detection Screenings using Ultrasound On-site (Echocardiogram, Abdominal Cancer Screening, Carotid Ultrasound, Aortic Aneurysm Screening, and more)
Revive Wellness – Health Fair coordinators plus wellness events, wellness presentations, on-site screenings and demos (Available CA wide)
Spice of Life – Health Fair Event Coordinators (San Marcos, CA and surrounding area)
Ridgecrest Regional Hospital – Health Screenings including full blood panel, PSA, ovarian cancer test, BMI (Ridgecrest, CA and surrounding area)
Body Techniques – offers stress management and corporate wellness programs to employers including mobile massage therapy, onsite yoga classes, virtual wellness, and additional fitness programs.